A Language Translation, Inc. project manager supervises language translators, editors, reviewers, and software engineers involved in a project. He is also the direct contact person for clients, as he manages the translation or localization process.
Before launching a translation project, the project manager identifies the scope and audience. Then he collects all the information necessary to get the project started. He determines:
- The language combination (the source and target language or languages)
- The size of the document or project
- The target readership; age level, education level, language dialect
- The format of the source document: Word, PDF, HTML, etc.
- The required completion date
The project manager creates the proper workflow, then directs and coordinates all aspects of the translation project:
- planning and scheduling
- tracking and reporting
- quality assurance
- on-time delivery of the translated material